Monday, April 22, 2013

Final Steps Blending, Highlights And Burnishing

 

These flowers are more than purple. Like all colors in nature, they are more a blend of color than a pure pigment.

 

Layers of purples are between layers of white and a touch of red. The stamens are shades of orange-red to light yellow.

 

Between each layer, I stop and using a stump, blend each layer to the previous layers. I also want to blend the stem of the flowers (purple) to the green stem, shading through white. This is how the flowers grow, and I want to continue this.

 

I also want to bring back the white highlights on the crocus itself and its leaves.

 

I do use a blending stick for some of this. This is a pencil that is pure wax. Using it helps two colors of colored pencil blend into each other.

 

Then I do burnish the entire picture, using the burnishing tool, rather than the paper stump. This brings a nice polish and shine to the drawing. It helps it jump away from the paper.
 
 

 
 
I really like the contract between the dark paper and the vivid flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy this post? I would love to hear from you