Thursday, April 4, 2013

Crocus Drawing in Colored Pencil - Start

drawing on tracing paper

 

Started a new drawing.

 

It is part of the colored pencil magazine on-line drawing challenge.


I started by sketching the layout on tracing paper.

 

1. because I like drawing on tracing paper. It is easy to draw on and easy to make corrections to, so for me the ideal medium for layout

 

2. I am going to do this on black paper and drawing on the semi-transparent tracing paper makes it easy to transfer the design to the rather fragile black pastel paper.

 

Pastel paper has a better tooth than watercolor paper, at least for me with colored paper. But it is more delicate.  It is easily scratched and dented. Once you get scratches or dents in the paper, you can’t get them out.

 
back of tracing paper with colored pencil

With the tracing paper I can make my own transfer paper. I don’t have to use graphite at all.

 

Turning the paper over, I simply take a soft white or light pencil and softly transfer some pigment to the back of the tracing paper. Then using drafting dots place the tracing paper over the paper I am going to use. Then using a blunted pencil, I transfer some light lines to the black paper. Because I am using the clip board drawing board I can check to make sure the lines are transferring, and that I am not getting indented marks.

 

 


White lines transfered to drawing paper

1 comment:

Did you enjoy this post? I would love to hear from you