Monday, May 15, 2017

Giving A Critique



When asked to give a critique, do you suddenly feel intimidated? Put on the spot? Almost exposed?

I could never do that! Why what would I say? I could never be mean!

I could never be mean.

That is the crux of the matter. The idea that critique is or should be “mean”. That only harsh criticism is real critique.

Well, it isn’t. The really harsh stuff seldom does anything other than make the giver feel superior.

There is a body of thought that truly believes that tearing someone down is the best way to build them up, make “real artists” of them.

What it does do is rip them apart in an effort to remake them in your image.


So when asked to give a critique, remember it is not a criticism. Look for both good and bad. Encouragement and suggestions. But remember they are only suggestions.

Each artist must work to their own vision.


1 comment:

Did you enjoy this post? I would love to hear from you