|Notice the shadows|
One of the best ways to do this is to draw simple white objects against a white background.
- There is no distracting color
- There is no distracting pattern
- You can see value clearly
- See how shading shapes an object
- learn the temperature of white
- Understanding the difference between contour shadow and cast shadows
White is Not Always White
|Notice the contour shadows|
|See all the shades of white|
|Simple shapes are not simple|
|Where are the edges?|
Learning the technical side of the art is freeing. Just as learning the scales when learning to play an instrument gives you the muscle memory to move with the rhythm of the song learning to see the contour shading frees you to draw what you see accurately. This makes it easier to manipulate objects when you want to. Understanding them helps you turn them inside out and create believable imaginary objects.
|All white but not the same color|