|really don't like this background.|
Not at all happy with the background for my son's portrait. Much to busy and distracting. Not at all what I was going for. So I must change it!
I did select a new pallet for this, related but not quite so yellow. Using more subdued yellow, red and green, created a softer green/gray. I refrained from using black or Payne's gray because of the black gesso that started this portrait.
I did add liquin to help the background dry. I also worked a little background into the portrait, so it would be background, not competing foreground. This way he will be in front of it.
After working the new background in and leaving substantially less of the black showing, I am much happier with this present look developing in this painting.
this background works to complement where I am going with the rest of the portrait. Not too garish, not too bland. Just the right amount of color. While it will reflect what is going into the actual portrait, it is softer, more muted.
The portrait of my mother-in-law is giving me more trouble. While there is nothing actually wrong with the background so far, it just does not seem to be as effective as the background I have on my father-law's painting. That one I am quite pleased with. That total package is turning out as the best of the three so far. I think I will need work live with the mother-in-law painting a while before I can diagnose just what is bothering me about it.
It is difficult to work on all three at the same time, but necessary. Each is providing a demo painting for different students at different places in their own work.