Saturday, February 12, 2011

The First Time

The first time I sold a piece of art; I could not believe it. I was prepared to have a quiet little show, have the pieces on the walls of the local coffee shop and then fade away



Field of Daisys
S. Tschantz
When the owner called me after I had hung the works, but before the meet & greet that one of the pieces had sold already I was flabbergasted.



Someone forked over money for something I put together? What is this? Ordinary everyday people buying art?



But it happens.



I don’t sell art to big time collectors. Don’t know any. They would not be interested in my work anyways. I am not avante guarte. I don’t understand reactionary art. I take photos of things that interest me. I paint happy little realistic paintings of things that interest me.



But from time to time I do sell things.



And that is and will always be special to me. It means I have connected, even for a little while with someone else.



Still Life with Blue
S. Tschantz
One painting that sold was a little painting of gumballs. (Still life with blue) the person who bought it loves it. He hung it in his modest home in the entry so that when he comes in that bright painting is the first thing he sees.



Another person, a doctor bought a scene of a frozen creek, Icy with green slushy snow. That now hangs in his den. When life gets hectic and the pressures mount, that scene is there to as he put it “get lost in”.



These people are special to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy this post? I would love to hear from you